I am such a sucker for good chocolate, but have you seen the price tag attached to organic vegan dark chocolate? Thank goodness, when I began venturing into the raw lifestyle, I discovered how simple it is to make healthy and delicious homemade chocolate. Recently, I took my chocolate to the next level by adding some organic almonds to make a scrumptious chocolate almond bark.
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of liquid sweetener (honey, agave, maple syrup or coconut syrup)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, liquid form
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, liquid form
- 1/2 cup organic almonds
- 1 Tbsp vanilla flavour
- Make sure your coconut oil and coconut butter are in a liquid state. You can slightly heat them on very low on the stove top.
- Add the oil, butter and cacao powder in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Add the liquid sweetener, and vanilla flavor. Stir.
- Now mix in the almonds.
- Pour the chocolate and almond mixture in a 9 x 9 glass square dish.
- Place in the freezer for about an hour.
- Once the chocolate is hard, take it out of the freezer and break into pieces. Either put the chocolate bark back in the freezer or place in the fridge.
- If you leave the chocolate at room temperature too long it will become slightly soft because of the coconut oil.
Substitute the almonds for any nut or add in some dried fruit.
Use only coconut oil in the recipe, if you don't have coconut butter.
You can easily double the recipe. I did it the second time around making it.
Add another flavor of extract for the recipe, such as mint.
And, on a holiday note, chocolate almond bark would make a great homemade gift!
There are affiliate links in this post. Any purchases made will put a few pennies in my pocket and support the continued content in this blog. Thank you!