Tomorrow is Earth Hour where people across the globe will be turning off their lights for one full hour (8:30-9:30pm) to help fight climate change and take a stand. I will of course be turning off the lights, and either head out for a nice walk or just sit and chat with J.P.
I wanted to create a tasty treat that I could munch on during that hour that requires zero energy to prepare. I thought of different snacks that I typically make, and came to the conclusion I more often than not use my food processor, even if it is to chop something. And, the reason is because it is faster, just plain easier and well- I am lazy. With that said, I got out a chopping knife and began creating.
Almond Date Balls
- Take all the pits out of the dates.
- Chop the dates up on a wooden cutting board.
- Once they are chopped, place them in a mixing bowl and continue to mix them with a fork to create more of a paste.
- Now take 1/2 or all the almonds depending how big your cutting board is, and being chopping. This could take a few minutes.
- Add the chopped almonds to the dates.
- Add the vanilla or almond extract and cinnamon to the dates and almonds and combine. You can use a fork, spoon or if you feel like getting a little dirty use your hands.
- Once incorporated to your liking, take heaping scoops and shape into balls.
- I put my in the freezer to firm them up, but you can eat as is or put in the fridge.
So, after reading how to make the almond date balls you are thinking- “I don’t like to chop.” (Of course, this can be made in the food processor, but that wouldn’t be any fun now would it?)
Boy- do I ever have an easy snack for you then.
- 1 date
- 4 almonds
- Cut date in half.
- Take pit out of date.
- Place 2 almonds in each date.
- Put in mouth and chew.
Now wasn’t that the easiest snack prep ever?
What will you be eating during Earth Hour?