Creamy Tomato Soup
Raise your hand if you grew-up on creamy tomato soup (vegan, paleo, gluten-free) and crackers? Not the healthiest lunch being from a can and a bag. But I throughly enjoyed my cup of soup with some crackers for dipping. Unfortunately, one of the most common brands of tomato soup contains high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient and a host of other unnecessary ones, leaving me no choice but to make my own. Besides, my version is much healthier and tastes so much better.
What was your favorite soup growing up?
Creamy Tomato Soup (vegan, paleo, gluten-free)
- 1 red onion
- 2-3 garlic bulbs
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil (<–affiliate link), for sautéing
- 5 large tomatoes
- 1 jar of tomato paste (<–affiliate link)
- 1 can of coconut milk (<–affiliate link)
- 1tsp of turmeric (<–affiliate link)
- Other spices: oregano, basil, rosemary or thyme
- Roughly chop the onions, garlic and tomatoes.
- Heat a cast iron pot (<–affiliate link) over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil (<– affiliate link), and sauté the onions and garlic.
- Once the onions and garlic are ready, add the tomatoes and tomato paste to the pot. Stir.
- Add your spices of choice.
- Turn the heat down to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until the tomato are soft.
- Add the coconut milk to the pot and stir.
- Take the pot off the heat and allow to cool before placing in your blender.
- Blend until creamy.
Tips and Notes
- If you don’t have coconut milk, try another milk alternative. I am sure cashew milk would taste very nice.
For more soup recipes, check out: