I have been fighting a head cold for a few days now and thought a nice vegetable soup would do the trick. Not only did the basic soup work extremely well to help clear my head and sinuses, but the added spices brought it up a notch. It is pretty simple to make and delicious. My nose is running just thinking of the cayenne pepper and ginger!
It is also a great”clean out the fridge” soup, where you can play with the ingredients to use whatever you have on hand. Don’t you think a little added spinach would taste good? I bet some fresh spices would add a nice flare.
What are some of your favorite soup recipes?
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- Oil for sautéing
- 1 large carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1 celery stalk, chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 large potatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 8 cups of vegetable broth and/or water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional- pasta noodles or rice.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a few more seconds- until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and spices to the saucepan and cook for 2 minutes. Add more oil, if necessary.
- Add the vegetable broth and lemon juice over the vegetable mixture.
- Add the tomato paste, and tomatoes.
- Bring the soup to a boil, and stir until the tomato paste has dissolved.
- Reduce the temperature to medium heat and let cook until the potatoes, carrots and celery are soft, but not mushy. About 30 minutes.
- If you decide to add noodles or rice to the soup, prepare them as stated on the packaging. Rinse to remove the starch once cooked.
- Once the soup is ready- add the pasta noodles or rice.
Vegetable Soup Plus
- Vegetable soup base
- 1-2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Cayenne pepper
- Pour a bowl of soup and add a pinch of the spices and apple cider vinegar when you feel a head cold is on its way.
There are affiliate links in this post. Any purchases made will put a few pennies in my pocket and support the continued content in this blog. Thank you!