In the last few months, I have jumped into making and creating my own personal care products like this DIY Clay Mask and I have to say it is the best thing I have done. First, it is much cheaper to make them yourself, and second, you don’t have to try and be a chemical detective to figure out what is in your product. That is the beauty of making your own products, you decide what will be in them and know exactly why each ingredient is there. This is by far my favorite creation as of yet- Activated Charcoal Facial Mask.
- Green Clay – It is an organic material comprised of a host of essential minerals, iron oxides, and decomposed plant material such as kelp and seaweed. It acts as magnet drawing dirt from the pores and is beneficial in removing impurities and tightening the pores, toning the skin, exfoliating dead skin cells and reducing inflammation in acne. Just take note that if you have dry or sensitive skin, the clay mask should only be applied once a week, as the clay will absorb moisture from the skin along with any impurities.
- Activated Charcoal – It is a star ingredient for any face mask. It acts like a magnet to draw out deep-dwelling pore-cloggers and not only does it remove unwanted toxins from your skin, it also removes all of your makeup! An activated charcoal face mask will leave your skin feeling clean and refreshed. It’ll feel as if your skin can breathe again. Read more benefits of activated charcoal here.
- Castor Oil – It is antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and it has been used topically to treat a variety of skin conditions, reduce pain, and stimulate your immune system. (Caution: Before ingesting Castor Oil speak to a medical doctor or Naturopath.)
- Cypress Essential Oil – It maintains the appearance of healthy, and toned skin.
- Frankincense Essential Oil – It is known to maintain the appearance of healthy, and toned the skin as well as it may help smooth the appearance of fine lines for a more youthful look. It is also created an uplifting atmosphere when inhaled. Therefore, if nothing else, you will feel great sitting with this mask on.
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil – It maintains the appearance of healthy, and toned the skin as well as it may improve the appearance of dry, and chapped skin.
Reduce Facial Redness: Activated Charcoal Facial Mask
Activated Charcoal Facial Mask
- 1 capsule activated charcoal
- 1 tbsp green clay or any clay will do
- 1 tsp or more water
- 1-2 drops Frankincense Essential Oil or Chamomile Essential Oil or Cypress Essential Oil
- 1/2-1 tsp castor oil
- Wash face with a mild cleanser and pat partially dry.
- Apply the mask evenly and let sit until dry, about 10 minutes.
- After the mask dries, wash it off, pat face and apply some coconut oil.
- If you are having difficulties removing the activated charcoal off your face, wipe coconut oil over your face to help remove the lingering charcoal.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
Photo Credit: DepositPhotos.com /Nomadsoul1