In the last few months, I have jumped into making and creating my own personal care products like this DIY Clay Mask, and I have to say it is the best thing I have done.
First, it is much cheaper to make them yourself. Second, you don't have to be a chemical detective to figure out what is in your product. Win! For me, that is the biggest benefit of making my own beauty products, I get to decide what will be in them, and I know exactly why each ingredient is in there.
This is by far my favorite creation as of yet – Activated Charcoal Facial Mask. And it only takes a few simple ingredients!
Here's what you'll need…
DIY Activated Charcoal Facial Mask Ingredients
- Green Clay is an organic material comprised of a host of essential minerals, iron oxides, and decomposed plant material, such as kelp and seaweed. It's beneficial in removing impurities, tightening the pores, toning the skin, exfoliating dead skin cells, and reducing inflammation in acne. Just take note that if you have dry or sensitive skin, the clay mask should only be applied once a week, as the clay will absorb moisture from the skin along with any impurities.
- Activated Charcoal is the star ingredient for any face mask! Activated charcoal acts like a magnet to draw out deep-dwelling pore-cloggers. Not only does it remove unwanted toxins from your skin, but it also removes all of your makeup, so it's a real-time saver. An activated charcoal face mask will leave your skin feeling clean and refreshed as if your skin can finally breathe again. Read more benefits of activated charcoal here.
- Castor Oil is an antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, AND anti-fungal. It has been used topically to treat a variety of skin conditions, reduce pain, and stimulate our immune systems for years. (That said, if you choose to ingest castor oil, be sure to speak to your medical doctor or naturopath first as some people can be sensitive to ingesting it.)
- Cypress Essential Oil maintains the appearance of healthy, and toned skin.
- Frankincense Essential Oil is known to maintain the appearance of healthy, and toned skin, as well as help smooth the appearance of fine lines for a more youthful look. It also creates an uplifting atmosphere when inhaled – it's one of my favourite essential oils! If nothing else, you will feel great sitting with this mask on.
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil maintains the appearance of healthy and toned skin, and it may as well improve the appearance of dry, chapped skin. Perfect for any time of year when your skin has been exposed to sun, wind, or general atmospheric pollutants.
Reduce Facial Redness: Activated Charcoal Facial Mask
Activated Charcoal Facial Mask
- 1 capsule Activated charcoal
- 1 Tbsp green clay or any clay will do
- 1 tsp or more water
- 1-2 drops Frankincense essential Oil or Chamomile essential Oil or Cypress essential oil
- 1/2-1 tsp Castor oil
- Wash face with a mild cleanser and pat partially dry.
- Apply the mask evenly and let sit until dry, about 10 minutes.
- After the mask dries, wash it off, pat your face, and apply some coconut oil.
- If you are having difficulties removing the activated charcoal from your face, wipe coconut oil over your face to help remove the lingering charcoal.