Smoothies are all the rave right now and for good reason. They can pack a great nutritional punch with all the right ingredients. Beyond the usual like fruits, nuts and seeds, juices or milk, a variety of ingredients can be blended into a smoothie to make it not only tasty but healthy and filling.
I try to spice up my smoothies by adding different spices, by rotating my omega-3 fatty acids and protein (where to buy). Making a smoothie doesn’t have to be rocket science but you can most definitely make it worth your time by including foods that will increase its nutritional value!
What do you add to your smoothie?
12 Ingredients to Boost Nutrition in any Smoothie
- COCONUT OIL (where to buy): It is a fantastic fat that can increase energy expenditure helping to burn fat as well as boost brain function.
- RAISINS: They are a great way to add some sweetness without the sugar spike.
- DATES: Delicious fruits containing oil, calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium which are all beneficial for health. They are definitely nature’s candy!
- CHIS SEEDS (where to buy): These tiny seeds regulate blood sugar levels, are rich in antioxidants, boosts energy levels, and contain anti-inflammatory properties. They are full of calcium, manganese, and phosphorus, and a great source of healthy omega-3 fats and fibre.
- HEMP SEEDS: These bad boys are a high protein seed (and very digestible) containing all nine of the essential amino acids. They also have high amounts of fatty acids, fiber, vitamin E and trace minerals.
- FLAX SEEDS: They are an excellent source of fibre, and omega-3 fatty acid as well as lignans which helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (where to buy): It aids in achieving a more alkaline state.
- RAW CACAO POWDER: It is a rich source of antioxidant flavonoids that promotes cardiovascular health, protects against toxins and helps to regulate blood sugar levels, and boost your mood.
- GINGER ROOT: This spicy root packs a powerful punch of flavor to any smoothie and contains anti-inflammatory, anti-flatulent, and anti-microbial properties.
- CINNAMON: This spice regulates blood sugar levels and contains fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese.
- TURMERIC: Promotes a healthy nervous system, helps with occasional discomfort, supports absorption of vitamins and minerals and promotes the wellness of the circulatory system. Enough said.
- WHEAT GRASS (where to buy): This green grass contains high amounts of chlorophyll which has the ability to draw toxins from the body like a magnet.
Click Here to PIN IT
Take a look at these healthy smoothies: