Kale is such a wonderful leafy green and there are just so many health benefits of kale- a nutritional powerhouse and so beneficial to your health in so many different ways. The vitamins offered by just one cup of this vegetable can trump a whole week’s worth of other foods: 684% of the daily value of vitamin K, 206% of the suggested daily amount of vitamin A, and 134% of vitamin C (and even more vitamin C in the Scottish curly-leaf variety). Impressive.
You can eat this amazing leafy green raw or cooked and enjoy it in salads, smoothies, juices, soups, stews or as-is! The one thing I love about kale is that it is fairly easy to grow at home (click here to read more), so there is no excuse to not have a little!
Health Benefits of Kale
- High in vitamin K: Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin that is most well known for the important role it plays in blood clotting. However, vitamin K is also absolutely essential to building strong bones, preventing heart disease, and crucial part of other bodily processes.
- High in iron: Iron (as part of the protein hemoglobin) carries oxygen from our lungs throughout our bodies. Therefore, having too little hemoglobin can cause anemia. For all you plant-based eaters this is a great way to up your daily iron.
- Strengthens your immune system: kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids helping to fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties: One cup of kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
- Filled with powerful antioxidants: Antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids help protect against various cancers.
7 Juice and Smoothie Recipes
A great way to get your daily dose of kale is either by juicing it or blending it in a smoothie. This is especially useful, if you are not particularly crazy about the taste of kale and/or want to sneak it into your kids tummies.
- Kale Apple Ginger Juice
- The Green Juice
- Chocolate Kale Morning Smoothie
- Chocolate Mint Smoothie
- Sun Dream Orange and Banana Smoothie
- The Basic Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Green smoothie
6 Main Meal Recipes
Replacing lettuce in salads is a wonderful way to get your kale- add some other veggies, homemade dressing and you are all set for a flavorful salad.
- Pepper Stuffed with Walnut Kale Pâté
- Wilted Coconut Kale Salad
- Curried butternut Squash and Kale
- Sweet and Sour Kale Salad
- Garlic BBQ Kale
- Grilled Apricot Kale Salad
3 Different Ways to Prepare Kale Chips
New to kale chips? Before starting, take a look at these tips to make the perfect kale chips. The chocolate kale chips look very interesting.