Blueberry season is in full swing here in Quebec. I stocked up on many boxes of blueberries from 2 different local farmers. I have a bag of wild berries sitting in my freezer and a large container of local organic ones in the fridge. Little E is devouring them like candy- which is something I probably should not be complaining about.
I have been impatiently waiting for this time of the year. I have so many different recipes juggling around in my head that I would love to try and create. I haven’t had a blueberry pie in a real long time, and decided to make a healthier, but delicious version of the conventional pie.
It is so simple to make, and takes no time at all to prepare.
What are some of your favorite pies? Have you tried to make a healthier version?
- 1 1/2 cups of pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups of walnuts
- 14-16 dates, pitted
*I think the next time I make this crust I will use almonds instead of walnuts or just almonds all together. I found the crust has a walnut after taste I am not a fan of. Perhaps adding more dates might remedy that.
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 2 Tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp of coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked over night
- 1 tsp if vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1 cup of blueberries reserved
- 2 Tbsp if honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Process the 3 cups of nuts in a food processor until it becomes a fine crumble.
- Add the dates and vanilla extract until it all blends together and becomes slightly sticky.
- Firmly press the crust in a pie plate, and put in the freezer to firm up.
- Process all the ingredients in a food processor until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and return it to the freezer until it is firm to the touch.
- Process the 1/2 cup of blueberries, honey and vanilla extract in a food processor.
- Once smooth, pour the sauce over the 1 cup of blueberries in a bowl.
- Mix together.
- Once the pie is firm, pour the blueberry sauce over the pie.
- Place the pie in the fridge or freezer. If you opt for the freezer, let the pie thaw for a few moments before serving.
blueberry, dessert, organic, pie, raw, recipe, vegan