Green tea is chock-full of polyphenols, phytochemicals with potent antioxidant properties that give green tea its bitter flavor. It also contains alkaloids such as caffeine, although in lower quantities than black tea, which gives its stimulating properties.
I am big green tea fan. I usually try to have a cup of green tea a day or incorporate it into another drink such as smoothie or juice.
This chia ginger green tea is smooth and creamy. I enjoy anything with cinnamon and ginger, and the green tea combo is just perfect. I even added a green glass straw to spice it up. I personally love to drink it cold, hence the ice in the recipe, but I am sure on a cold winter night, it could be warmed up.
Do you like to add tea to your smoothies? Any fun recipes you would like to share?
Chia Ginger Green Tea
- 1 cup of steeped green tea
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of homemade coconut milk or any nut milk
- 2 dates
- 1 tsp of vanilla flavor
- 1 tsp or more of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- Put the chia seeds in the green tea and let them soak up the tea for about 15 minutes. The mixture will become thick.
- Place the chia and green tea mixture in your high powered blender, I use my Blendtec with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
*The amount of cinnamon and ginger will depend on your taste buds. I love ginger and cinnamon so I put a lot.