Many skin care and beauty products are filled with toxic and unnecessary chemicals. The word fragrance can either mean it is derived from essential oils or synthetically and companies are not required by law to disclose the origin of the fragrance, so really it could be anything.
I know how easy and inexpensive it is to make your own personal care products at home, using coconut oil. I am a little late to the party and am diving more and more into the DIY world one finger at a time. One common ingredient I see in most homemade products is coconut oil. I have been using straight-up coconut oil on my body for months and I just love the way my skin feels. Now that I have found all these recipes, it has opened up a whole new DIY door for me.
How do you like to use coconut oil in DIY products?
16 Coconut Oil Personal Care Recipes
- Oil Pulling – I have not tried this yet, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. Perhaps, I will have to give it a go.
- Homemade Body Butter – So simple. Lavender would be a great addition to this recipe. It helps to create a calming and relaxing atmosphere when inhaled and is one of my favorite essential oils.
- Orange Chocolate Whipped Body Butter – I thought maybe this could also be used as a topping for fruit, if you decide not use it as body butter. Oh, I can just smell the cacao now. Mmmmm
- Tinted Lip Balm – I am looking forward to smothering my lips in this stuff, and I the tinted pink make me think- glamour!
- Homemade Deodorant – I still have not ventured into the homemade deodorant yet. I am not sure why. I think it is more the laziness factor, seeing as my deodorant is as close to homemade as it can get.
- Toothpaste – I am pretty intimidated and nervous about making my own toothpaste. What happens if it tastes too much like bentonite clay? I don't think I could handle that.
- Beard Oil – So simple and manly!
- Shaving Cream – This sounds just perfect. I generally just use castile soap for shaving, but this one is definitely being added to my “must try” list.
- Homemade Coconut Oil Hand Scrub – For soft, supple hands, start with exfoliation!
- DIY Mascara – Interesting. One of the fe things I have never tried making. Will you be adding it to your “I absolutely have to make it” list?
- Chocolate Mint DIY Lip Balm – Push over nasty fragrance tainted lip balm, there is a new one in town and easy to make to boot. But she really had me at chocolate.
- Homemade Non-Toxic Eye Liner with Coconut Oil – So simple. Move over store-bought eye liner made with nasty chemicals–go all-natural and make your own .
- Coconut Oil Hair Treatment – Looks like I will be applying some of my smoothie all over my hair, and everyone knows how much I love smoothies. Perfect! 🙂
- Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub – Doesn't this sound fancy? I bet the peppermint essential oil has a very uplifting aroma while taking a shower and smothering the sugar scrub on your body.
- Homemade Moisturizer – This is my kind of moisturizer with only 1 ingredient most people already have at home. Simple. Just so simple, the way nature intended, right?
- Canberry Body Lotion – Fresh cranberry juice in my lotion? This sounds amazing and just perfect.
Which one will you be starting with? I am thinking the orange chocolate whipped body butter has my name on it!