I really do enjoy chocolate just as much as the next gal, and it’s important for me to buy organic, fair-trade and vegan chocolate, which can be very difficult at times.
However, homemade chocolate treats are super easy to make and taste so much better than the store bought, pre-packaged, and processed variety anyways. Don’t you think?
You can do so many things with raw chocolate just eat as is, use it as a pie filling or even a cake frosting. For today’s recipe, I used it to make Raw Vegan Chocolate Tarts.
- Nut crust
- 1 cup of whole pecans, soaked for 4 hours
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut (where to buy)
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (where to buy)
- Chocolate filling
- 1/2 cup of cacao powder (where to buy)
- 1/4 cup of raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of homemade coconut butter or (buy here)
- Combine all 3 ingredients of the nut crust in a food processor fitted with the S-blade. Scoop out the crust with a spoon and separate it between 4-5 small tart cups. Press down and place in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate filling.
- You will need to melt the coconut butter/oil, if it is not already melted. To keep it raw, either melt it in your dehydrator (where to buy) or in a bowl immersed in warm water. Once the coconut butter/oil is melted, incorporate the cacao powder and honey.
- Take the tart crust out of the freezer, and pour the filling into each tart. I had trouble not licking the entire bowl first. Once the tarts are filled with the chocolate, return them to the freezer until they get nice and hard. It could take anywhere form 15 minutes to 1/2 an hour. Take them out of the freezer and make sure to eat them right away because they will begin to melt quickly. You don’t want nut mush and liquid chocolate in your hands?
Coconut oil can be substituted for the coconut butter.
Carob can be substituted for cacao; it may lend a different taste.
Another nut such as walnuts or almonds can be substituted for the pecans.
These raw chocolate vegan tarts taste fantastic and turned out perfect. What do you think? A nice chocolate treat? Well, I am now off to make another batch.