Last week, I was fighting a head cold and crazy cough. The last thing I wanted to do was run to the store and get all drugged up especially since I am 35 weeks pregnant. I am more a natural remedy, lets ride it out kind of person, unless I see that medical intervention is required.
Thankfully I have a wonderful and knowledgeable community of natural mama’s who were more than happy to guide me on my natural remedy journey.
- Charise from I Thought I Knew Mama shared her 3 secret weapons: elderberry syrup, garlic and probiotics.
- Karen from EcoKaren runs for her Asian pear and honey cough remedy and suggests these 10 natural ways to help prevent the cold and flu before it even sneaks up on you. The cough remedy actually looks very tasty.
- Have you ever put hydrogen peroxide in your ears? Well, Anna from GreenTalk swears by it, and says placing 6 drops in each ear works like a charm.
- Andrea over at The Greenbacks Gal has 2 recipes that I think should do the trick when it comes to getting some relief when congested. Vapor shower disks- what a neat little concept, make them and bring them in the shower with you, and homemade vapor rub that is great alternative to the conventional store bought kind, that is made with petroleum.
- When Lori from Groovy Green Livin came down with a nasty cold last year, she tried these 6 natural remedies including drinking lots of water and sleeping. Why didn’t I think of that?
- It seems as though elderberry syrup is a common remedy. Gretchen from Healthful Mama has a great homemade recipe that I will be making once I find some elderberries, as well as a few other ideas up her sleeve.
- Jenny from The Crunchy Wife is a big believer that elderberry is an immune booster, and she also gave the homemade elderberry recipe a go. Seriously, this looks good enough to just eat for fun.
- Brenna from Almost All The Truth tends to use a lot of lemon, honey and ginger to help fight off her sickness. That sounds tasty on a regular day.
- Thieves essential oil? Have you tried this before? Jenny from Conscientious Confusion has a great secret on how it can help prevent the cold and flu. I am pretty convinced right now and will be looking into essential oils a little more. Jenny also suggests sinus rinsing to help prevent and clear up your nose.
- Beth from My Plastic-Free Life drinks lots of veggie juice spiked with cayenne pepper and lemon, and says it makes for a yummy virgin bloody mary as well!
- Oh my, these homemade herbal honey cough drops look tasty and easy enough to make. Free-Range Mama from My Healthy Green Family keeps them readily available for her family when the cough and cold season is on its way!
- Danielle from It Starts With Me has a few great ideas: tea first thing in the morning, apple garlic ginger juice, orange juice and ginger and getting chiropractic care. I too am a fan of getting adjusted to help prevent illness.
- Looks like we have another tea drinker on our hands. Jen from Jen and Joey Go Green makes sure to get lots of liquids in her by drinking tea, and water and eating lots of soup.
- Meg from The Green Divas reaches for her homemade hot lemonade: 4oz of warm water, 1 heaping Tbsp of raw honey and juice from one lemon.
- Rachel from Mommy Greenest uses Chestal from Boiron when she feels a cold coming on.
- Feel like a superhero when sick? Kallay over at Kallaydoscope sure looks like one when she is feeling ill. Checkout what she is drinking and putting on her face to feel some relief!
So after all of this, what did I end up doing? I bet you are all dying to know, right?
Check back tomorrow to find out my natural remedy secrets!
What do you do when you feel sick and icky?
There are affiliate links in this post. Any purchases made will put a few pennies in my pocket and support the continued content in this blog. Thank you!
cols and flu, natural remedies, organic, prevention