Have you priced the fancy, pre-made, contains a million ingredients sugar scrub lately? I have. One jar. $30. To me that seems ridiculous when all you really need is sugar and a fatty oil. I mean, you can surely spice it up with a few other ingredients, but that is the base. And the best part. It costs less than $5 especially if you are like me and reuse your sunflower butter glass jars. I am thinking a homemade peppermint sugar scrub with only ingredients sounds like a wonderful idea.
This is a list of ingredients for a sugar scrub recipe I found on the internet:
- Safflower Seed Oil
- Oleyl Alcohol
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Rice Bran Oil
- Jojoba Seed Oil
- Tocopheryl Acetate: synthetic vitamin E.
- Phenoxyethanol: is an aromatic ether alcohol. This ingredient starts out as phenol, a toxic white crystalline powder that’s created from benzene (a known carcinogen) and then is treated with ethylene oxide (also a known carcinogen) and an alkalai. Well, that ingredient sounds perfect for a sugar scrub.
- Fragrance/Parfum: Most companies when they do not disclose their fragrance source, I assume it is synthetic.
- Benzyl Salicylate
- Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde
- Limonene: could be synthetic. No way to know.
I don’t know about you, but I would much prefer a more simple ingredient list and less of a price tag. It is super quick to make your own sugar scrub and you can easily swap the ingredients and make a new kind every.single.time. No need to be boring, people. Use just sugar or use sugar and Epsom salt. Add Peppermint with Idaho Balsam Fir for a more manly scrub. The sky is the “sugar scrub” limit.
The Benefits of Sugar Scrubs
- Full body exfoliation
- Great for hands and feet
- When Peppermint is added to your sugar scrub and used in the shower, it can create an uplifting atmosphere when inhaled
- Sugar scrubs are known to maintain the appearance of healthy, and toned skin
What is your favourite sugar scrub combo?
Peppermint Sugar Scrub Recipe
Homemade Peppermint Sugar Scrub
- 3/4 cup Organic Sugar
- 1/4 cup Organic Avocado Oil
- 10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 Mason Jar (500ml)
- Add the organic sugar to a mixing bowl.
- Add the avocado oil and stir until completely mixed together.
- Add the Peppermint Essential Oil.
- Scoop the sugar scrub into a mason jar.
More scrub recipes below: