Lately, I have been craving sweet treats. I personally prefer making my own and skipping the store bought ones because they can be expensive, especially organic snacks. Sometimes, you would think they were made from gold. I also find they tend to create waste, mostly plastic waste, and they are ingredients that are all sitting in my cupboard. So, why purchase them when I can make a healthier, cheaper and easier alternative.
I am not trying to toot my own horn here, but I made these squares yesterday for the first time, and they turned out great. They are quite tasty. Try them and let me know what you think!
Chocolate Coconut Bar Batter
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cup of cashews
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 10 dates
- 1/4 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup of raisins
- In your food processor, blend the coconut for about 5 minutes until it resembles coconut butter.
- Add the cashews and almonds to the coconut mixture. Combine well.
- Add the dates to the mixture and blend until it becomes similar to nut/coconut butter.
- Add the cacao powder, and blend.
- Once you think it is ready- slowly add the raisins, and pulsate. I like having some chunks of raisins in mine.
- Take the “batter” and press it down in a glass container.
- Put in the fridge to harden.
Coconut Vanilla Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut or 1 cup of coconut butter
- 2 dates
- 1-2 Tbsp of vanilla flavor you can use extract, but I would use less
- 2-4 Tbsp of coconut water or just water
- Blend the coconut in your food processor until it resembles coconut butter.
- Add the dates and vanilla flavor, and combine well.
- Slowly add the water until your desired consistency.
Once the batter has harden, spread the coconut vanilla frosting on top and place in the fridge. I am sure my Cashew Cream Frosting would also go great on these squares!