I never really ate that much mayonnaise except for the occasional potato salad in the summer or an egg or tuna sandwich. Since I don’t do tuna at all and eggs and potatoes are a rare thing, I never really missed it. Then I discovered I could make eggless potato salad and tuneless and eggless sandwiches with chickpeas and tempeh. So- that just opened a whole world of mayo. The only type I found was organic soy based or non-organic grape seed oil based. Can you see my dilemma? I wanted organic but of the non-soy variety.
I, therefore, decide to make my own. I found countless recipes using oil and I have tried many but they never worked out, they were always so running. Nothing like the thick egg mayo. I figured cashews would be a good start to make a vegan mayo. I have tried different recipes, and liked them all. But this one tastes more like mayo from the zing of mustard and lemon!
Homemade Vegan Mayo
Yields: 1 cup
- 1 cup of cashew; soaked for 4 hours
- 1/4 cup of filtered water (<–BUY water purification system here affiliate link)
- 1-2 Tbsp of mustard (<– BUY mustard here affiliate link)
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a high powered blender. Blend until creamy.
Tips and notes
- It will probably take about a minute in a high powered blender. I have not tried this recipe in a food processor. I am sure it will work just be mindful of the splashing from the water and nuts mixing.
- If you dont have lemon juice on hand, try apple cider vinegar. I have tried both and much prefer the taste with the lemon juice. You may need to add more apple cider vinegar.
- Start with one tablespoon of mustard and you may need to add more, if you want more of a punch.
- Variations: macadamia nuts or half cashews, half macadamia nuts or half cashews or half almonds.
For other healthy foods, check out:
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
MEDICAL DISCLOSURE: The information included on this website is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. None of the opinions expressed here are meant to diagnose or treat any disease or illness. You should always consult your healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for your own situation or if you have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.