I previously shared 20 ways to conserve water. However, I do have a few other ideas up my sleeve on reducing and reusing your water waste instead of discarding it.
Obviously, reducing your water consumption is ideal, but sometimes we just need to use water. Here are 5 ways to reuse your water and 5 ways to reduce your water usage:
- We all boil/steam foods and without a second thought pour the water down the drain. How about re-using the left over water to start a scrumptious and nutritious soup or freeze it to reuse again at a later date for pasta, veggies etc.
- Many people have hanging baskets with flowers and well of course these plants need to be watered. But a lot of water is wasted when you water them. Place a bucket under the planet and catch the water and reuse it to water the plant again or for another plant, or place ice cubes on the moss or dirt to give your plants a cool drink of water and help eliminate water overflow. Two great ideas!
- Of course our pets need water just like us, but we don’t need to waste it in the process. Instead of throwing the old water from their bowl down the drain; use it to water your trees or shrubs or plants.
- We might not wash our pets quite as often as we wash ourselves. However, think about washing them outdoors in an area of your lawn that needs to be watered. Two birds, one stone!
- Anyone with a fish tank or bowl knows that cleaning them can be tedious. Next time you have to clean it, why not give the nutrient-rich water to your plants. Just sayin’.
- We all need to shave whether it is our legs, arms or face. But, do we need to leave the water running? Probably not. By turing off the water, you could save up to 300 gallons a month.
- Many people want to keep their driveways clean and clear of debris. Think about using a broom instead of a hose to clean it and save water every time. Genius and so easy to do!
- Sometimes, we are not always aware of the slow leaks in our home. One one way to check if our toilette is leaking is to put food coloring in the tank. If it seeps into the toilet bowl without flushing, you have a leak. Fixing this problem can save up to 1,000 gallons a month. Crazy!
- I personally hate to scrub pots and pans after I use them. I usually just let them sit filled with water instead of letting the water run while scraping them clean. Such a waste of water doing it that way.
- It seems that now a days everyone has a dishwasher and most definitely a washing machine. Try running the washing machine and dishwasher only when they are full. Did you know this will save up to 1,000 gallons a month. Incredible!
Water is an important natural resource that many take for granted. Just think of all the people in the world without fresh drinking water and here we are letting perfectly good water go down the drain while brushing our teeth!
The next time you are shaving or boiling water, take a minute and think how lucky you are to have access to fresh water. And, maybe this will help you reduce and reuse your water. If not for the environment, for all the people less fortunate!
Challenge of the week for September 21-28: pay close attention to the water which gets tossed down the drain and reduce it.
Source: Water Use It Wisely
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
MEDICAL DISCLOSURE: The information included on this website is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. None of the opinions expressed here are meant to diagnose or treat any disease or illness. You should always consult your healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for your own situation or if you have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.