No-Bake Vegan Date Squares
As most of you probably already know, I am a huge “date” fan. I add dates to everything from smoothies to raw treats to salad dressings and garnish in my salad. I highly enjoy the sweetness of them without the guilt.
One of my favorite desserts are date squares, but I never make them or buy them because they are usually made with butter and brown sugar. This got me thinking, I should just make a simple no-bake vegan alternative, so I did.
- 16 dates, soaked for 2-4 hours
- 1 1/2 cups of almonds
- 1 1/2 cups of oats
- 1/4-1/2 cup of coconut oil
- Place the almonds and oats in a food processor and combine until it becomes a fine powder.
- Add the dates, and process.
- Slowly add the coconut oil to mix everything together. You may need more if the crumble is too dry.
- Press 3/4 of the mixture in a glass pan, and reserve 1/4 of the crumble to put on top of the date filling.
- Place the crust in the fridge while you prepare the date filling.
- 30 or more, soaked for 2-4 hours (if you like your filling sweet add more dates)
- 1/2-1 cup of water for blending, use soaked water.
- Place the dates, and the water in a food processor and blend into a paste.
- Spread the date filling on the crust evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the date filling.
- Place the date squares in the fridge for an hour or until firm.