Last June, I decided to ditch the conventional shampoo and conditioner and experiment with “no-pooing.” I have not looked back since, but, like those who have implemented the “no-poo” method probably already know all too well, it can leave your hair dry. So- what does a green gal like myself do? I research to find the best way to get rid of the dryness- obviously.
I read that putting a small amount of oil at the ends of your hair would help. Let’s just say I tried it and that it did not go as planned. My hair was an oily gross mess. It took a few days to completely get the oil out. I probably put too much and now I am just paranoid if I try it again the same will happen.
I have been on the lookout for a conditioner that would meet all my needs- American made, no harsh chemicals, organic, sustainable practices, and low EWG rating preferably 0, which I found out isn’t an easy task.
I finally found a company based in Washington called “Nurture my Body” that looked pretty promising. So, I called them up to ask a zillion questions about their products and by the end of our conversation a bottle of their conditioner was in the mail for me to tryout. They seriously had me at glass bottles.
The one thing I noticed and which became quite apparent during my conversation with Rich, the owner of Nurture my Body, is that they really care. Not the fake greenwashing care. I mean the same type of “care” for the environment and the products I use daily that I have. It is not often that you find a company that gets it right and is so personable. I have had many email conversations with Rich and I feel like I could grab an organic tea with him and his wife and the rest would be history.
- Their products are handmade in the USA-actually in Washington.
- Each product is individually filled. Yes, in the year 2012 people are actually not relying on a machine.
- Their products contain organic ingredients.
- They disclose all ingredients of their products on their website.
- The company runs on 100% wind-powered energy from Puget Sound Energy
- Their products are rated 0 or 1 on the EWG website.
- Most of their products are available in either plastic bottles or glass bottles.
- They support the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and are 1 of 322 companies worldwide called a Champion, and pledged that their products would meet the standards and deadlines set by the European Union Directive 76/768/EEC to be free of chemicals that are known or strongly suspected of causing cancer, mutation, or birth defects. Amazing.
- They are 1 of 390 companies that have been approved by Leaping Bunny. Per Leaping Bunny: “Make a commitment to eliminate animal testing by pledging to only purchase products approved by the Leaping Bunny Program, which provides the best assurance that no new animal testing is used in any phase of product development by the company, its laboratories, or suppliers.
I am really enjoying my new hair. It honestly is a great conditioner and it was so simple to apply. Squeeze a small amount in your hand, massage into your hair and wait a minute or two. Rinse. That is all.
The smell reminds of grapefruit. My hair is no longer dry. I am able to go 3 days without washing my hair. And, the best part: my hair looks and feels great.
The only thing I am disappointed about is that the conditioner and shampoo are no longer available in glass bottles, only BPA-free plastic. However, many of their other products still are. They explained that too many people were complaining that the glass was breaking and such. I say “stop dropping your bottle or order it in plastic next time and leave the glass to people that know how to handle it. Like myself.”
Overall, I am very pleased with the results from using the conditioner and already looking forward to washing my hair again. Two more days.
If everyone cared as much as this company- we would live in a pretty great world.
Would you like to get your hands on a bottle of their conditioner to try? Nurture my Body would like to giveaway one bottle of their conditioner to one of my lucky readers.
Just like my previous giveaways, I am not going to make you jump through hoops to enter; I am going to keep it simple. Leave me a comment. Write whatever you like; say hello; tell me what your favorite conditioner is and why; tell me I am awesome….I will leave the comment writing up to you.
For extra entries, follow me or Nurture my Body on twitter or like me, or Nurture my Body on facebook. Please let me know in separate comments if you have followed or liked us in any or all of us. Therefore, you can enter up to 5 times.
It will also be greatly appreciated and will most definitely put a smile on our faces. We like to smile and giggle, too.
Oh, and tweeting about the giveaway won’t gain you anymore entries, but it sure will make this green girl jump up and down with joy!
Just so you know: no purchase is necessary to enter. This giveaway is open to U.S only.
The winner will randomly be selected using random.org. Entries will be accepted until midnight EST on April 19, 2012 and the winner will be announced the following day.
So let the commenting begin!
I did not receive any monetary compensation for this post. I was provided with one bottle of Nurture my Body conditioner at no cost for this review. The opinions expressed here are my own.
The contest is now closed!
Thank you to everyone that took the time to enter. I appreciate it. Drum roll please- the winer is Robyn Faughnan #42! Congratulations!
American, chemical-free, conditioner, EWG, non-toxic, safe, shampoo, skin care