Most times, when you order your favorite beverage, it is usually paired with a one time use plastic straw wrapped in paper. I get it though. I understand that thick green smoothie or creamy coconut milkshake just doesn’t taste the same without a straw. But, there is a way to slurp down your drink while avoiding the plastic straw. A widemouth smoothie Glass Dharma straw would be a great way to have your smoothie and drink it, too.
I have a nifty collection of glass straws just sitting on my counter right now for various drinking occasions. Yes- I may have a slight glass straw addiction. I was recently approached and offered to
fuel my addiction tryout Glass Dharma drinking straws and write my thoughts on their product. That sounds simple enough to most people, but I was torn, as I am every time I am offered a product. We are heading into week 24 of Project Green Foot and the first rule of Project Green Foot is follow all the rules. So, what shall a green waste-less gal like myself do?
- I am saving so many sea creatures from ingesting little teeny tiny pieces of plastic by continuing to use glass straws instead of plastic ones.
- I am spreading the word about glass straws and how we must stop using these disposable plastic ones.
- I am probably going to part with one or two of my straws to help others on their way to living a plastic straw-free life.
- I am educating others on the harms of plastic straws.
Glass Dharma generously set me five different glass drinking straws: one clear 6.25” sipper straw, one clear 9” smoothie straw, one clear 9” decorative ice tea straw, one clear 9” bendy ice tea straw and one clear 8” engraved ice tea straw. They also included two cleaning brushes that were a welcomed surprise. However, when purchasing straws from their site, not all straws automatically come with cleaning brushes, so please read the fine print.
According to the Glass Dharma website, the straws are made of borosilicate glass tubing (non-toxic) and the strongest commercially available. You can feel confident when drinking hot or cold drinks that no toxins are leaching into your food.
Why make the switch to reusable glass straws?
- Each time you use your glass straw that equals one less plastic straw ending up in a landfill.
- One glass straw replaces thousands of plastic straws- How many times will you use a plastic straw the rest of your life?
- Using glass straws are one way to limit your exposure to toxins from plastics because they are toxin-free! No BPAs, phthalates, etc.
- They are dishwasher safe.
- Handmade in the USA-actually in California. Buying from Glass Dharma means that your dollar is not going off-shore – it stays right here in the U.S.A.
- They are fully back by Glass Dharma 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you don’t love your straw, send it back for a full refund.
- Lifetime guarantee against breakage. If you break it, they will replaced.
- They are lots of fun! Have you ever had a green juice or berry smoothie with a glass straw? If not, you are missing out!
I am really enjoying my new glass straws that have been added to my collection. I personally like the bent ice tea one. It is perfect for my green or multi-coloured juice in the morning. The opening of the straw is just big enough to make sipping in all the green goodness easy. I even let my 16 month old daughter use the straws under my supervision, of course. I would not recommend children be left unattended with a glass straw.
The sipper straw is great for my daughter to share my juice with. The diameter (7mm) of the drinking hole is the ideal size for her little mouth, and the 6.25” length is just perfect. Now that she is a bit older, she is able to drink her smoothie from the smoothie straw with much more ease, but it is still a tad too big for her. Me on the other hand- I love it. When I have a green smoothie, I am able to gobble up all of it with my straw. I tend to make my smoothies thick- so the 12mm opening is great for that.
I love how the glass of the straws are very thick, and I am therefore not worried about them breaking easily. I still take extra precaution when handling them and keep them wrapped at all times. The decorative straws, have held up and not chipped or broke which I am happy with. As well, I like how the straws can be engraved. Maybe my next straw will be engraved with Good Girl Gone Green, perhaps?
One straw at a time you can make a small, but effective impact on the environment.
Would you like to get your hands on a sippy decorative straw? or perhaps a smoothie straw? Glass Dharma is giving away a 25.00$ gift certificate to one of my lucky readers, so you too can enjoy drinking from a glass straw.
Just like my previous giveaways, I am not going to make you jump through hoops to enter; I am going to keep it simple. Leave me a comment. Write whatever you like; say hello; tell me what your favorite straw is; tell me I am awesome….I will leave the comment writing up to you.
However, it will greatly be appreciated and will most definitely put a smile on our faces. We like to smile and giggle, too.
Oh, and tweeting about the giveaway won’t gain you anymore entries, but it sure will make this green girl jump up and down with joy!
Just so you know: no purchase is necessary to enter. This giveaway is open to U.S and Canadian residents excluding Quebec (sorry, Quebec has some seriously stupid laws on giveaways that I just do not want to get involved with).
The winner will randomly be selected using random.org. Entries will be accepted until midnight EST on Wednesday, February 22, 2011 and the winner will be announced the following day.
So let the commenting begin!
I did not receive any monetary compensation for this post. I was provided with 5 Glass Dharma glass straws and two cleaning brushes at no cost for this review. The opinions expressed here are my own.
The contest is now closed! Thank you to everyone that took the time to enter. I appreciate it. Drum roll please- the winer is Kitblu #48! Congratulations!
environment, Glass Dharma, glass straws, landfill, plastic straws, reuse, trash