We have all been there before: horrible gifts. Perhaps, it is a sweater that we would never wear in our wildest dreams, or maybe a pair of slacks that Granny thinks you will look sharp in, or even a Chia pet! We politely say thank you and hope that there is a gift receipt tucked away in the box. If you receive a gift you are more than happy to part with, the following are some useful options to make the best of an ugly sweater situation.
- Return it. Hopefully there will be a nice white piece of paper neatly placed with your gift to bring it back. If not, you can always try to return it anyways, and most probably receive a store credit for something you will use and enjoy more.
- Donate it. Someone’s trash may in fact be another’s treasure. Remember the ugly candle holder you received? Someone else may adore it and in fact it may just brighten their day. Simply drop off the candle holder at your local church, thrift store or even a non-profit that that may have a need for it such as a women`s shelter or soup kitchen.
- Sell it. Now a days everyone seems to be selling their unused or used stuff on craigslist. So why not join them and sell the item and buy something you will use or need or maybe pay a bill.
- Re-gift it. You receive nice pair of gloves or mittens, but you have a zillions pairs already. What to do, what to do? I am sure there is someone you know that would like the gloves-so wrap it up with eco-friendly wrapping paper and voila- a gift for someone else, and you didn’t even have to spend any money.
- Swap it. Have an eco-freindly swap party! Invite all your friends and family, and ask them to each bring some used items that others would enjoy and swap away. You may end up with a nice scarf or sweater in return.
- Keep it. You could just store it for those “just incase” moments or for the time your great aunt asks about the awful looking mug she bought just for you. One never knows when a chia pet will come in handy! Sometimes we just have to think of the giver, and keep the gift to make them feel good when they see you using their gift!
The next time you receive a gift you are not too crazy about or not quite sure what to do with, please don’t just trash it. Instead, you now have 6 different options to save the item from a life time in a landfill.
What do you plan on doing with your new ugly sweater?
eco-friendly, holidays, tips, unwanted gifts