DIY Detox Clay Mask
Secretly, I am a girly girl and love to wear make-up, do fun face masks and put nail polish on my tiny toes. Sounds like a fun Saturday night, no? I do always try to use homemade products, as they are cheaper and this way, I can avoid all the toxins found in conventional beauty products.
One of my favourite face masks is my detox DIY clay mask. It’s very soothing on the face and draws out impurities and toxins from the skin with the help of the green clay, apple cider vinegar and maca root. Plus, I add in Frankincense essential oil to help smooth the appearance of fine lines for a more youthful look.
Benefits Of The Homemade Clay Mask Ingredients
Green Clay – An organic material comprised of a host of essential minerals, iron oxides, and decomposed plant material such as kelp and seaweed. Green clay acts as magnet drawing dirt from the pores and is beneficial in removing impurities and tightening the pores, toning the skin, exfoliating dead skin cells and reducing inflammation in acne. Please note, if you have dry or sensitive skin, the clay mask should only be applied once a week, as the clay will absorb moisture from the skin along with any impurities.
Maca Root – Rich in Vitamin B and Vitamins, C, and E. Maca Root provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids. However, there are not many studies that have been done on the use of maca topically (though there is a maca product supplier who states that their studies showed it structurally enhanced the firmness of skin and boosted its inherent protective abilities). All I know is that it feels great on my skin and appears doing what it claims to do.
Frankincense Essential Oil – This essential oil is known to maintain the appearance of healthy, and toned skin as well as it may help smooth the appearance of fine lines for a more youthful look. It also creates an uplifting atmosphere when inhaled. Therefore, if nothing else, you’ll feel great relaxing with this DIY clay mask on your face.
Vitamin E – It works to block free radicals from the body, which play a large part in the aging process. If we can fight off free radicals, then we can reduce wrinkles and keep the skin youthful-looking
So what are you waiting for? Here’s how to make a clay mask.
All-Natural Easy-Peasy DIY Detox Clay Mask Recipe
- 1 tbsp Green Clay or any clay will do
- 1 tsp Maca Root Powder
- 1-2 drops Frankincense essential oil
- 1 tbsp raw Apple Cider Vinegar (Add water to get your desired consistency to make a paste.)
- 2 drops Vitamin E
- Mix all of the ingredients except the essential oil together into a smooth paste. Once smooth, add the 2 drops of Frankincense essential oil.
- Spot test the mask on the underside of your wrist to make sure that you do not have any reactions.
- Apply the mask evenly avoiding the delicate skin around your eyes and lips, and let sit until dry for about 10 minutes.
- As the mask dries, it may feel tight on the skin, which can sometimes feel a little itchy (if you start to feel uncomfortable, wash the mask off).
- After the mask dries, wash it off with warm water, pat face gently with a clean towel, and let the skin breath or apply a mild all-natural moisturizer such as coconut oil to any areas that are prone to dryness.
Be sure to stir the mixture with a plastic or wooden spoon, as the green clay pulls toxins from metals.
Also, store your clay in a non-metal container.
Bentonite clay would work as well for this recipe.
If you don't have apple cider vinegar, just use filter water (where to buy).
That’s all! As promised, my homemade clay mask recipe is easy-peasy!
Click HERE to Pin It
Looking for More Amazing Face Mask Recipes?