Chocolate Coconut Butter Spread
Recently, we ordered a large amount of nuts, and dried fruit and such in bulk from a local company in Montreal. While living in Texas, access to bulk items at Whole Foods was so easy, but there is sadly nothing like that here in Montreal that I can find. It actually worked out because a local company is giving us a great deal on all the foods we buy. If you have never tried dried pineapple, you have no idea what you are missing. It tastes like candy.
One thing, I made sure to purchase was shredded coconut. You should see the bag of coconut a flakes presently taking up space in my kitchen. I see lots of Homemade Coconut Milk and coconut butter in my future.
I was inspired to make some fresh homemade coconut butter to have handy in the fridge when a recipe called for it. Have you seen the price of one jar of raw coconut butter? It is ridiculously expensive, considering it is just plain old coconut. It is so easy to make- just like my homemade coconut milk.
Chocolate Coconut Butter
Yields: 1-2 cups
- 4 cups of shredded coconut (click to purchase here- affiliate link)
- ½ cup of raw cacao (click to purchase here- affiliate link) or carob
- 2 very ripe bananas or 3 Tbsp of liquid sweetener
- 1 tsp if vanilla flavor
- Optional: coconut oil (liquid form) or water to help with blending
- Place 2 cups of shredded coconut in a high powered blender (click here to purchase- affiliate link). Blend until creamy.
- Add the remaining 2 cups and blend.
- Add the cacao powder. Blend
- Add the sweetener. Blend.
- Now add the coconut oil or water, if needed, little by little while blending to reach your desired consistency.
Tips and Notes
- Any liquid sweetener such as honey, maple syrup, and coconut syrup (click to purchase- affiliate link) will work. It may yield a slightly different flavor.
- Using a liquid sweetener will extend its self life compared to using bananas.
- I have tried to make coconut butter with a food processor and it doesn’t do as good of as a job as a blender.
I think this chocolate coconut spread could easily be used in so many different ways. Perhaps place in the freezer in a square dish for some chocolate fudge, or spread it on some raw bread or just regular bread. You could also use it as raw pie filling. Why not try it in my Chocolate Coconut Bars? The possibilities are really endless. I personally just ate it right off the spoon, but that’s just me.
How will you eat it?
There are affiliate links in this post and any purchases made will put a few pennies in my pocket to support the continued content in this blog. Thank you.